Menu

toggle between limited and full

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Feature Requests toggle between limited and full

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  paulb_nl 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

JaydeSix
    Participant

Would it be possible to implement a toggle to switch between limited and full range? I have a few devices that are limited range only and my TVs black level option is buried about 5 menus deep in a very sluggish UI.

Regardless, thanks for an amazing device and all the additional support and functionality you’ve added.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Am I understanding correctly that these limited-range devices are connected through your OSSC?

If you don’t want to wait for a firmware solution (which may or may not arrive or be possible), and your TV supports saving picture settings per-input, you could get an active HDMI splitter, connect both outputs to different inputs on your TV, then configure one input for full-range and the other for limited-range.

JaydeSix
    Participant

The Limited range devices are not going through the ossc, I’m running everything through my receiver. Using the inputs is a good idea but I’m already using the other hdmi inputs to work around other problems with my setup, namely limited hdcp 2.2 support. Basically I bought my TV and receiver at the worst time technology wise and I’ve been paying for it ever since ha.

paulb_nl
    Participant

Maybe you can do this manually with the OSSC gain and offset settings. If you lower the gain so that full white is 235 and adjust offset so full black is 16 then output should be the same as Limited range. This would of course only work if you force your display to Limited range which is what you want to do.

JaydeSix
    Participant

Very interesting, I’ll give that a try. Thanks!

JaydeSix
    Participant

Finally got around to giving this a shot, is there any trick to using the offsets? If I start lowering all three of them by the same amount the picture tints green and if I raise the offsets by the same amount the picture skews blue.

paulb_nl
    Participant

You must be using component if that happens so I tried that and it works a bit differently. You increase the Y offset to brighten the black level, decrease the Y gain to lower the white level and lower Pr and Pb gain for less color saturation. I ended up with 144 for Y offset and all the gains could be set to 0.

JaydeSix
    Participant

You’re right I was using component. I tried your settings and everything looks correct.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to not only help, but also for working out the correct settings.
    One last question, for Scart and VGA inputs it would be the same numbers but all 3 offsets to 144 right?
    I gave it a shot and it looked correct but being partially color blind I like to double check just in case.
    Thanks again.

paulb_nl
    Participant

Yeah increasing all 3 offsets should be fine for RGB input. Nice that it’s working correctly now with your LG TV.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.