Menu

USB Power Connector

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Feature Requests USB Power Connector

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  marqs 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

oldscool
    Participant

For an updated version of the OSSC, I’d really like to see a move to USB for power. I feel like it would give the OSSC a bit more flexibility. Since the OSSC uses 5V 1A, it’s right in line with most cell phone chargers. Additionally, most TVs and AV devices have USB ports that can power the OSSC, thus eliminating the need for “one more power brick” in the AV setup.

Micro-B would probably work just fine and be cheap. There might be people who who would prefer to future-proof with USB-C. I’m not sure how much moving from the current connector would increase the cost or complexity of manufacturing. I know it’s such a minor thing, especially when other feature requests have to do with actual video performance. I know I can do this right now with no hardware revision by getting a USB to 5.5 mm/2.1 mm 5 Volt DC Barrel Jack Power Cable, but I still think it’s worth requesting in the long run.

Thanks so much for the OSSC! Keep up the great work.

marqs
    Participant

The problem with micro/mini USB connectors is that they tend to become loose sooner or later, so it’d a bit risky to use that as the only power connector (as secondary it’d make more sense). Several USB cables are also thin with non-neglible voltage drop over tha cable with high load – not really an issue when charging a battery or even for 3.3V OSSC logic (driven by LDO with ~0.4V dropout), but DDC5V would get affected and might cause issues in some rare cases.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.