Menu

Using SNES, getting checkerboard on some solid colors

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support Using SNES, getting checkerboard on some solid colors

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BuckoA51 3 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

patricktamu
    Participant

I’m seeing the checkerboard pattern that is shown in the My Life In Gaming video that talks about the OSSC. I’m using the NTSC CSYNC Shielded/Grounded cable sold by retro_console_accessories on ebay. My SNES is the original model and pretty sure it is not a 1-chip (picture is a little soft.)

According to the video, the checkerboard pattern appears if you use composite as sync cables, but I’m using CSYNC cables, which I thought was suppose to prevent this issue with upscalers. The checkerboard doesn’t appear on my PVM. I also plugged the sync line directly into my composite video input to check, and I got a black screen. I think this confirms that this isn’t a composite as sync cable.

Anyone know why I would get the checkerboard with a CSYNC cable? Do I need a better cable? Sync Stripper? Or could the console be noisy?

Additionally, this console is a replacement I got from the Nintendo repair shop, if that makes any difference.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Can you post a screenshot? Csnyc cables get rid of checkerboarding 100% on my 3-chip SNES.

patricktamu
    Participant

After checking again, the checkerboard isn’t nearly as bad as the ‘my life in gaming’ video. It is barley visible, and looks more like columns with alternating colors. Sorry, I don’t have an HDMI capture device.

Could only capture something on my phone on a black screen.

black screen

Here it is barley visible on a green background.

text screen

I do think I can see this a little on the PVM, but extremely hard to see. I’m guessing it is the console.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Yeah that’s not the typical checkerboard pattern caused by non-csync cables. Could be bad caps in your SNES, might be worth opening it and taking a look.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.