Menu

VGA output?

Home Forums OSSC OSSC – Discussion and support VGA output?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BuckoA51 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

CathodeRayBlues
    Participant

I understand that the new version of the OSSC that was just announced uses an HDMI port to replace the DVI-D connector (which is the kind that DOESN’T have the extra pins to allow passive VGA out). However, one of the things I have really wanted to see (other than S-Video/Composite input being supported in some way) Is the ability to output Analog VGA.

I get the idea that this device (if it could output VGA) would be a fantastic choice to hook up consoles with a 15khz horizontal scan to a CRT monitor that only supports 31khz horizontal scan (VGA) and up, while also being able to act as a secondary monitor for my PC using a switcher.
    Therefore no DAC is required. I am doubtful about the quality of existing active adapters that convert a digital output (such as HDMI, DVI, or Displayport) to VGA, particularly regarding the response-time, and I figured having the ability of native analog output would be far better in the longrun.

The XRGB-1, 2, and 3 had this feature, as well as Composite/Svideo input. However since those are not being sold anymore and go for over $300 on ebay, I would rather trust in a brand of device that is still actively supported and being developed.

Does there exist a firmware mod and/or a DIY kit that can make the OSSC suit these needs? Or will these features be considered in the official release of the OSSCv2? thanks for any information in advance.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

No, this won’t be added to OSSC. Since the OSSC does a analogue to digital conversion a DAC of some kind will always be required.

DACs do not typically add any latency as they don’t use frame buffers. Lots have been tested with OSSC, you can see the results here:-

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=Analogue_video_output_options_for_OSSC

CathodeRayBlues
    Participant

Thanks, the results look good enough, so I will stick to using an active adapter. Now all I need to worry about is finding the right NTSC decoder (Primarily because I dont want to mod my NES, C64, or N64, or spend another $200 or more on a gamecube component cable.)

edit: speak of the devil I just found one on another thread that looks promising, so long as I can find a way to get a C64 to work.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Ah you mean a S-Video/Composite to RGB transcoder? I do hope something comes up that’s affordable and compatible in the near future.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.